491 replies to this topic

#301 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

Height feels the same as stock outback seats. I didn't measure them, but I'd be surprised if the power/manual rails were different.

Feels good to me - I tend to sit fairly forward (bent arms) and upright (snug in the seat).

#302 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

Yes I sit in the correct driving position too but I have a long torso and shorter legs which means I almost have to duck my head down a little to read the top of the speedo.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#303 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:28 PM

ah - yeh I'm a bit the opposite. longish legs for torso size .

#304 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:51 PM

New rear LCA bushes... seems to have resolved the slightly vague directional stability when load up front changed (braking etc). Old ones were pretty shot - bits of rubber fell out of them.  

Easy job with a big arsed breaker bar - 40min each.

New vs. Old

DSC_0679.jpg

#305 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:57 PM

Wow. Hey Duncan what did you use for a breaker bar? I have a 1/2" 600mm(ish) bar but it is still defeated by strut bolts, etc. I've heard of people sleeving their bar with a length of water pipe or similar. Is this how it gets done or is that bush mechanics and you should buy a proper long bar?

And are they the Febest bushes?

"Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure."

BH9 02-05 / BD9 07-14 / BE5 14-> / GGA 18->

2001 Legacy B4-RSK / 1999 ZX-9R C2

#306 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

Wow. Hey Duncan what did you use for a breaker bar? I have a 1/2" 600mm(ish) bar but it is still defeated by strut bolts, etc. I've heard of people sleeving their bar with a length of water pipe or similar. Is this how it gets done or is that bush mechanics and you should buy a proper long bar?

Sleaving pipe/jack handle is the proper bush mechanic way. Does wonders

tIeW8DE.png

#307 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

I've got a ~900mm bar. Its almost the best tool I've got, its saved me so many busted knuckles and swearing - I don't know what I did before I got it.

3/4 of the bolts were easy, one needed a bit of heft before it popped - I thought I'd busted it when it let go.  You just need to get the right angle on them so you can give it a good heave, which can be a bit awkward lying on the ground. The inner bolts are a little more effort, as they need an extension, so you need to be careful to avoid twisting the socket off by applying pressure down on the socket. Usual stuff. 

My only concern with bits of pipe is busting my socket driver - don't go using a pipe on a ratchet drive, you'll probably knut it.

If you can't move yours, I suggest going to a mechanic and getting them to break the bolts with an impact driver, then change the bushes yourself. (or if you've got one of those electric jobs, that'd probably do it)

These are the Febest bushes.  Went for a couple of longer drives today, and its definitely fixed the small wander I had when getting on and off the gas or brakes.

Oh - and only other tool needed is something (pipe, crowbar, bit of wood) to lever the arm away from the body a little so the bushes go off and on. No need to remove any other suspension bits... and undo the arm nuts after the bush bolts are uncrewed most of the way, but before taking them out.

#308 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:56 PM

You just need these.....

schwarzenegger_biceps_zpslmzncdlr.png

OEM+

#309 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:22 PM

In my experience, that ends up with one of these outcomes

angry-man-yelling.jpg

lwsm_grazed-knuckles-starting-to-bruise-

or

studsbroken.jpg

Usually caused by a combination of cheap sockets and poor technique

#310 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:28 PM

Snapped studs are gonna snap no matter what you do.

Grazed knuckles means you arent paying enough attention to your surroundings and going in with blinkers on.

Getting angry means you arent thinking the issue through.

:)

OEM+

#311 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:29 PM

Hahahahaaaa

#312 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:29 PM

I've got a ~900mm bar. Its almost the best tool I've got, its saved me so many busted knuckles and swearing - I don't know what I did before I got it.

3/4 of the bolts were easy, one needed a bit of heft before it popped - I thought I'd busted it when it let go.  You just need to get the right angle on them so you can give it a good heave, which can be a bit awkward lying on the ground. The inner bolts are a little more effort, as they need an extension, so you need to be careful to avoid twisting the socket off by applying pressure down on the socket. Usual stuff. 

My only concern with bits of pipe is busting my socket driver - don't go using a pipe on a ratchet drive, you'll probably knut it.

If you can't move yours, I suggest going to a mechanic and getting them to break the bolts with an impact driver, then change the bushes yourself. (or if you've got one of those electric jobs, that'd probably do it)

These are the Febest bushes.  Went for a couple of longer drives today, and its definitely fixed the small wander I had when getting on and off the gas or brakes.

Oh - and only other tool needed is something (pipe, crowbar, bit of wood) to lever the arm away from the body a little so the bushes go off and on. No need to remove any other suspension bits... and undo the arm nuts after the bush bolts are uncrewed most of the way, but before taking them out.

.A longer bar sounds like a wise purchase. I don't have any pipe to sleeve the bar with (and tbh I'd prefer to just get a longer bar). I needed it when swapping out suspension and just couldn't crack the nuts. Soaked with WD40, etc. Threw in the towel and took it in. The mech had the advantage of the hoist but also said he used a 4ft bar on a few of them!

I've split (cheap) sockets on exhaust bolts before. Destroyed a (cheap) ratchet on the same car doing another job. No more chinese discount tools from Bunnings... the impact driver sounds like a great idea. I just bought a bigass compressor that will run a driver properly.

Thanks for the advice!

#313 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:38 PM

Snapped studs are gonna snap no matter what you do.

Grazed knuckles means you arent paying enough attention to your surroundings and going in with blinkers on.

Getting angry means you arent thinking the issue through.

:)

Aye. I do usually do all three, but in the reverse order. Snap the stud as I immediately smash my fist into something hard and edged, then drop the tool, note the sheared bolt and become Mr Furious because that's extra work on a job I wanted finished hours prior

Like three weeks ago when I managed to shear a strut brace bolt. How the heck did that happen? Must have overtightened it on install. Ask me if Bunnings at Glendale, East Maitland, or Salamander Bay have M12 dome nuts :-)

#314 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

M14 × 1.5 bolts need nothing but sheer force to undo. :)

OEM+

#315 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:37 PM

Ryobi impact gun from bunnings, you will never look back. $120 for the gun, more if you need the batteries.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#316 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:07 PM

Yep ^

Posted Image

#317 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

Went to the local (-ish) pick-n-pull today and grabbed a couple of items.

- wiper mechanism

- dark-grey grandpa-spec DIN surround and switch plastics

I thought my wiper mech was just worn - but it had actually popped a plastic knuckle out of one of the arms. Not clear to me how they're held in, but replaced it anyway ... no more wiper escapes from the windshield!

I also replaced my plastics (light-brown grandpa spec woodgrain) with dark-grey grandpa spec woodgrain.  Bits came off an auto, so no shifter suround. I've plasti-dipped the shifter surround matt black for now.  

Pictures may follow if I can be arsed.

Also building a little slide out camping kitchen for the back.

#318 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

Pics... 

#319 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

Fork on.

Before

DSC_0651.jpg

n' After

P1030645.JPG

#320 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

Better.

I have a full set of JDM black brushed surrounds inc manual shifter surround and a momo wheel arriving soon......

OEM+

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gen3, outback, twin turbo, swap, sleeper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users