489 replies to this topic

#101 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for tips on the CC. Unsure if I will fit the CC yet !

I am using the trans from the cut, so this will not be a problem.

I will check the abs sensors tomorrow.

Just 1 thing for you to check, is the cable on the CC unit long enough ? 

As it must reach the rh side of the throttle body now.

Looks like the end is in sight for you now.

Ps I am always watching !!

nup - cable won't reach.  I'm seeing if I can pull apart the actuator or extend the cable. Failing that, I understand a WRX one will do the trick.  Its just the vacuum actuator + cable that needs a fixin.

If you use the hubs from your cut, I assume the ABS sensors will match. May be another option for you (not for me, my cut had one hub :)

#102 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

I might be able to help you with the FSM . Are you after the Aus one or Jap one ? I can scan the pages as I have the Factory Dealer ones.

The abs sensors should just plug in . Your Outback is Model year 99 . Is the cut a A revision or later?  If its a B revision it will run the later hubs .

The Clusters are different on all models . You must match them to the Dash Harness I have found . You will get the lights change around. Ie Check engine light becomes Auto Trans overheat light etc.  

Thanks Suby.. I'm after the AUDM FSM for the outback. The cruise control wiring is slightly different from the FSM I have. eg: my actuator only has 4 pins, whilst the FSM has 6. I'm stuck on two signals at the moment, one seems to be a diagnostic (goes to the 'check connector' and 'data link connector'), whilst the other is a mystery, as the colour and pin from the cruise control module aren't listed on my FSM. If you could swing the 2 pages of cruise control schematics my way, that'd be fantastic.

re: the hubs. The outback has a gear-like hub (ABS protrusions around circumference like a gear), and the sensors poke out about 10mm from the hub to meet them. The donor has recessed ABS sensors.  The plugs 'match' (2 pin, black, white), but don't physically connect.  I'm just going to re-pin or failing that, cut and solder the outback harness plugs on.

Ben warned me about the dash, so the whole lot (electrical-wise) is being transplanted. Its got defi-style gauges, which is a nice upgrade. Oh, and the tacho reads a bit further up the scale.

#103 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

Suby,

I just downloaded a '98 legacy wiring. Its closer - # pins on actuator is right, and the right pin #'s on the control module seem to be used, but colours are still a bit out. I'll have more of a look into it tomorrow.

#104 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Thanks heaps Suby.

That circuit makes more sense - has the missing pin I was chasing down. - Data Link Connector. 

Lots of progress this morning.

• ABS sensor wires resoldered to outback plugs (I couldn't work out how to de-pin them).
  • Ditto the gearbox sensors - harness adapted to the 2-plug outback version.

Interior is starting to look like a car again. Dash and instrument cluster back in. Powered her up and at first glance seems ok - systems which are connected work (like annoying door chime, and all the wipers started because I had the controls all on), and no smoke escaped from anything (which is the important thing).

The cruise switch wiring was already in the dash harness, previously n/c, and I just had to pin a couple of my wires added to the bulkhead harness from the cruise module into the SMJ.

This afternoon's job is to pull the gear selector whilst the exhaust is off and see if the knuckle bushings have gone tits up. Shorter shifter from cut will be put back in its place once knuckle sorted.

#105 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

As suspected, front bush in gear select knuckle was not only shot, but completely gone.

DSC_0136.JPG

I hacksawed off the rivet head, popped that out, then rebuilt it with a bolt, short piece of fuel hose... and some washers (basically rebuilt from what bits I had lying around. Probably should source some bushes and do it properly.  here's some ideas).

DSC_0137.JPG

No-name short shifter from cut went back in with the rebuilt knuckle. Shift is now tight and sweet. I don't think its been as good as this the 6 or 7 years I've had the car.

#106 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

this evening:

• A/C condenser, radiator and fans in
  • water hoses plumbed up
  • intake + filter box attached
  • gearbox subframe-ectomy. TT longitudinal section combined with outback front and rear cross pieces bolted to car and 'box (with my ghetto N-spec mount). This is required because the front cross frame has about 1.5" of spacers welded in, and the rear one is higher than the liberty.  The TT mid section is needed to clear the dumps.
  • dumps fitted, exhaust brackets on gearbox attached and turbo heat shields bolted in (what a prick of a job that is - maybe there's a knack I missed).

Engine bay starting to look more car like, too.

DSC_0140.JPG

#107 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

Good progress made tonight.

Just a few bits left to do in the engine bay.

That intercooler still be fitted, what a kent of a job that is !!

#108 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

Hahahahaa heat shields just suck. I threw mine in the bin.

You're making good progress then along comes something as shitty as heat shield to take up more time than it deserves.

Sucks when you get stuck on one thing when you're on a mission.

#109 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

seem to be missing a bit - or have misplaced it.

Anyone got a picture of the passenger side intercooler bracket for a TT?  (the one with the rubber grommet at the top)

#110 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

Forking epic!

Started first go. Got herself out of the garage, up the driveway, and turned around.

No leaks, idles smoothly, sounds meaty with no exhaust.  temp looks ok, no leaks.

Airbag light is the only warning - I presume I need to reset that.

#111 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

Forking epic!

Started first go. Got herself out of the garage, up the driveway, and turned around.

No leaks, idles smoothly, sounds meaty with no exhaust.  temp looks ok, no leaks.

Airbag light is the only warning - I presume I need to reset that.

Great news mate.

#112 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

Great to see another person keen to DIY this stuff :) Top work mate

Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#113 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Congratulations mate, I had the airbag light with mine too when I first started her up, turned out to be the connector at the bottom of the drivers side kick panel, it was plugged in but this plastic part of the connector needs to pop out or back for it to be fully engaged.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#114 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

Suby, thanks for the pic.  Don't remember seeing this bit at any time.. will dig through my boxes of stuff and may have to give Ben a call.  Intercooler is pretty solid with one bracket and four hoses holding it in a tight embrace.

Airbag system is from the outback - no components transferred across. Didn't power up without anything connected. I'll double check in the morning and get the SSM cable working some time over the next few days (after exhaust is sorted) to interrogate the system.

Couple of other minor electrical niggles - power windows don't work, the plug to the breaker for these is dangling loose and I need to track down where it goes. RHS parker is also not turning on (either with parkers or turning signal) and HID leveller not functioning.

And some sonic goodness with cockatoo reference...

Attached File  no_diffback.mp3   153.03KB   15 downloads

#115 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:50 AM

Just a thought - the airbag plug for the steering wheel is two step locking. Locked in properly? If you just push it in it clicks, but then there's another part to lock in that makes the contact between the pins. If you only just push the plugs together, they lock and seem secure but you will get an airbag light without doing the second part of the locking.

OEM+

#116 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

today's update.

Ready for the run to the local exhaust shop, primer grey bonnet and bumper black scoop. Interesting combo.

DSC_0505.jpg

was enjoying myself too much with the open exhaust (I've clamped the centre-pipe on for now, so its open at the diff) and gobs of torque when I noticed the temp gauge -- whoa!  pull over quick!  The bottom hose was cold to the touch as if the thermostat hadn't opened.

Let it idle a while and it came down a little (3/4), then I babied her home with thoughts of draining the coolant and pulling the thermostat out.  Left it to sit and there was lots of gurgling and slurping - air in the system.  I gave the hoses a big squeeze a few times and when she cooled a bit she sucked up all in the reservoir bottle - so I kept topping it up, then re-filled the header tank.  This turbo cooling system is new to me.

Second try up to the exhaust shop and it behaved itself. Will be going in there in the morning for a hack to the H6 center pipe (extend it a couple of inches - not sure why its short, maybe the dumps have been hacked, or the centre-pipe for the TT is a different length), make the flanges line up, remove the short constrictions at the ends) and add a diffback.

A couple of other things I noticed on the drive

• AC was blowing hot and wouldn't switch from full facial. I thought it was because I'd forgotten to swap over the HVAC units, but when I did that, had the same problem - turns out I'd left something unplugged in the footwell. All fixed
  • Low-range gearbox is popping out of high range sometimes when I coast or compression brake. Not sure why its doing that now - I think I must have un-adjusted the cable in my attempts to make it shift into low range better than it used to.
  • new rebuilt shift knuckle and short shift is awesome.

Got back and fiddled a bit more..

•  I can't for the life of me find the power window circuit breaker. I've bodged it for now by plugging a piece of wire across the plug where the circuit breaker should go and the windows work fine.
  • As many have suggested, the airbag light was the big plug in the driver's right footwell. It has a green tab that needs to be pushed back into the plug. Yay!
  • steering light lit up on my drive - but fluid was low after it bled itself - I guess I didn't do enough full lock turns to bleed it the first time.
  • HID levellers and RH parker still out. That parker has me stumped. Fogs work fine, so I haven't swapped the wires. I'll need to do some more digging through wiring and get the multimeter out.
  • It was a mistake wiring the vanity mirror lights to the interior spot. I had (stupidly) assumed that the spot would be on Acc, but its not. Its full time. So there's a risk that the vanity light will come on and run the battery flat.  Vanity will do that to you.

#117 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

Suby,

thanks a motza.  The reason I couldn't find it is because I haven't put the dash cover back on!

Its sitting there, just waiting for a good plugging.

So that's the power windows sorted.

#118 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

today's update.

Ready for the run to the local exhaust shop, primer grey bonnet and bumper black scoop. Interesting combo.

DSC_0505.jpg

Bloody hell, you lot of ADHD's in this place have made me notice the fugly gap above the plate, and the new gap under the grill.  Bastards

#119 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

ahaha I think its a right of passage to get the wrong grill

tIeW8DE.png

#120 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

I take it, given you've primed it in 1k aerosol, you'll be doing it in acrylic? Or will you give it a sand and hit it with some 2k surfacer? If you want to do it 2k (which almost all new cars are) I'd take it to a shop and get it done professionally. If you do it 1k then get some lamps or heaters in your garage as the humidity/cold air will give you curry - your primer is already sucking in bulk moisture as it's porous. 

HTH

Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gen3, outback, twin turbo, swap, sleeper

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users