488 replies to this topic

#361 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:00 PM

Ok -- wasn't that low.  Was an even hundred with a DPS and BBOD.  I think they charged me $85 for the exhaust.

#362 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:38 PM

How are going to go about fitting them to a Manual ?
Afaik they are different between the two

Not sure exactly where the difference is though

#363 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:53 PM

Still a sweg price. Aids noob whats the DPS

tIeW8DE.png

#364 Miguel

Miguel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

How are going to go about fitting them to a Manual ?
Afaik they are different between the two

Not sure exactly where the difference is though

Slight variation where they go under the Trans crossmember. I believe theyre interchangeable though you just won't have mounts that line up. I hope anyway :P

MjC8i57.jpg

#365 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

Still a sweg price. Aids noob whats the DPS

Differential Pressure Sensor ya aids noob.

#366 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:10 PM

Differential Pressure Sensor ya aids noob.

Im ok with being an aids noob. STI master race checking in

tIeW8DE.png

#367 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

Yeh - thought I better grab a few of the aids-specific items.. hence DPS and BBOD box o' solenoids.. for the time if when I need the spares.

#368 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

Yeh - thought I better grab a few of the aids-specific items.. hence DPS and BBOD box o' solenoids.. for the time if when I need the spares.

Good idea m8.

#369 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:23 PM

Im ok with being an aids noob. STI master race checking in

+1 
Will sit down and listen to someone discuss aids if and when they figure it out in the first place...

Anyway, torqued to spec is just the manuals way of saying 'we couldn't get it any tighter, see if you can'.

#370 Miguel

Miguel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:48 PM

+1 
Will sit down and listen to someone discuss aids if and when they figure it out in the first place...

Its not thaaaat complicated, just almost that complicated :P

MjC8i57.jpg

#371 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:02 PM

Well, some crossed fingers and I put the full exhaust on today.

First, I ground off the spot weld holding the exhaust tip in place - with a plan to maybe re-use the tip just welded a bit further back. Not sure there's enough length in it, though.

I had to lose some downpipe heat shields (no mounts on the downpipes for some of the bits), my driver's side firewall/rail bracket thingy (had already removed the passenger side one), and bend the trans mount hangers on the 'zorst - as they fouled the trans crossmember.

I also decided to ditch the underbody heat shield - its just a pain in the arse.  I may add some stick-on heat shield down there if I notice any problems.

Other than that, it all bolted up nicely.

Here's my old hacked up H6 mid-pipe with straight-through diff-back vs. new shiny stainless hubba hubba (I couldn't resist giving it a once-over with some polish and a buffing pad before putting it on).

Same dump size (2" each - pretty small). New has one cat in the mid-pipe, Old exhaust had one in the primary dump but not the mid pipe (naughty).  Fair old size difference post-Y  3" vs. 2.something (2.25" ID, I think, then 2'5" at diff-back).

Attached File  zorst_comparison.jpg   50.07KB   7 downloads

And new all bolted up.

Attached File  zorst1.jpg   34.13KB   7 downloads Attached File  zorst2.jpg   23.04KB   6 downloads

I will have to get the trans hangers sorted, 4" or so on the exhaust tip so it extends to the bumper - and maybe drop the rear hangers with longer rubbers, as by the looks of it a longer tip will foul the bumper by about 1/2" or so.  Oh - and have to get an O2 bung for the sensor hole which is unused.

Despite the size of the muff, she's tucked up nicely to the body.

Took it for a quick spin. Definitely quieter (which is ok -- previous exhaust had a really nice note, but I think a bit OTT sometimes and a little loud at freeway speeds), deeper and more subtle at idle and cruise, but a nice angry sound when you give it some beans and on twins.  Kept an eye on the boost gauge for spikes -- didn't see anything silly. ramped up nicely to 13psi on primary, similar on twins, but this was only 2nd gear.  VOD may have been less noticeable.

I was going to do some logging pre and post-exhaust to check differences, but the only SSM setup I have working is freessm, and that doesn't seem to log. Oh well.

Attached File  exhaust0.mp3   118.72KB   14 downloads

#372 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:47 PM

Great score duncan. And nice work getting it on so quick. What says the bum dyno?

Is the ECU a happy potato?

"Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure."

BH9 02-05 / BD9 07-14 / BE5 14-> / GGA 18->

2001 Legacy B4-RSK / 1999 ZX-9R C2

#373 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

bum dyno says spool is quicker -- seems to be an earlier 'boost ramping up' rather than a distinct step in boost later on.

Its much quieter cruising and idle, but still a nice note -- which is excellent.  As its nice and dirty (and thick stainless tubes), it doesn't have that  harsh raspy note that some cheap stainless systems seem to suffer from.

I got one of the trans mounts sorted last night - flattened the RHS OEM mount bracket to line up with the tab on the secondary downpipe (which I'd previously bent to clear the subframe).  Other (LHS/primary) side still needs to be sorted, I think that one may need to be chopped and welded, as its too close to the subframe.

I haven't had a chance to check ECU (IAM in particular if I can get to it) -- black soot accumulating on the bumper; it was fully carboned up when I got it, so I'm not sure if its my soot from running rich, or previous owner's gunk.

#374 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

Slapped some poly diff bush inserts in - as my rear had developed the usual clunk.

They've fixed the issue - but the bushes are completely shot (as in the inners are no longer connected to the outers) and I'll need to replace them.  I might use the opportunity to replace as many of the rear-end bushes as I can.  OEM prices are exxy, but partsouq says I should get away with most bits, OEM or febest, for much less.

I guess that's what happens when you put some grunt through 17yo/280k bushes.

#375 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

ive replaced pretty much every bush in the rear of my outback and the clunk is still there! you done much to the front end? That's where I'm going to start replacing bushes next..

#376 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:40 AM

Nope -- only new bushes in the front are some poly steering rack mounts that I put in about ten years' ago, and rear lower arm bushes went in about a year back.  The whole front end (plus engine mounts) needs doing, too. It might take me some time to get around to them all.

if you've got a driveline slack type clunk - check the prop shaft, it often has a bit of play.  I have noticed that now the huge diff movement (and associated noise) has gone, I can hear the gearbox (transfer gears?) clunk a little when getting on/off the gas.

#377 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Dropped the dumps to replace the gaskets today.

I had a turbo/dump leak on the primary since I put them on -- result of being lazy and trying to re-use gaskets.

New pair of gaskets, couple of new turbo studs, and wrapped the upper portions for thermal control goodness while I was there.

Out of focus potato..

Attached File  DSC_0839.jpg   78.35KB   5 downloads

#378 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

Neat
s9dt46J.png

tIeW8DE.png

#379 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Only one cat?........... Naughty.

OEM+

#380 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

well - at least this one has the one cat after both dumps, not just the primary :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gen3, outback, twin turbo, swap, sleeper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users