gen3 outback twin turbo swap sleeper

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#161 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Awesome dude.

I noticed how forked up your hands are in the above pic. Conversion lyf yo!

Doh, the pain.

#162 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

from memory the cooler bracket was already missing unfortunatey , i might have another on the shelf though, ill have to take a look. 

thanks, Ben.

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#163 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

Get a boost gauge happening asap :)

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#164 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

from memory the cooler bracket was already missing unfortunatey , i might have another on the shelf though, ill have to take a look. 
thanks, Ben.

cheers Ben.

I was going to have a go at fabbing one from a spare piece of Al checkerplate I have lying around... if that fails, I'll chase you up.

Now.. boost gauge is on my list... but mulling over stock-looking location. Something like a subtle DIN mount.

I love the look of these, but $$.

EDIT: Ben - I just had a closer look at your original ebay listing. You are right - no bracket.

#165 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

Looks like she's coming along nicely mate! The grazed knuckles and bleeding hands are worth it in the end. Provided your TT doesn't explode. You should come along to the TT Tech Day we have coming up, and you can learn the innards of these foul beasts. A very good mix of knowledgable people will be there, would be mad to miss it!

Also, need moar pics!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#166 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

For a DIN mounting, you'll need 52mm gauges. Have a look through my build thread - Thnkb4. I looked into the 3 gauge holders, but nothing fits quite right. I ended up just wrapping a little bit of black electrical tape around each gauge so they fit snuggly. I planned to fill the gaps with space foam and paint, but as per my usual, never got to it. It just wasn't very high on the urgency list. If you only want a single gauge, and don't smoke, removing the ash tray is a good location that's pretty well hidden. 52mm for there too.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#167 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

Ben - you shouldn't have made me look at that thread. The first page or so has given me the shivers.

On the good news front, AC leak tested and regassed this arvo. All seems to be working ok, so I didn't f' up the connections and the compressor off the cut was good.

#168 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Haha, no stress man, keep the vac lines & BBOD in good nick and you should be right - also, keep good quality fuel up to it. Plus, you're running an import motor, which people seem to have less issues with from what I've seen. I've been keeping a keen eye on this thread, you're doing really well!

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#169 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Don't make excuses....... TT MEET!

#170 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

yeh yeh - I'll see what I can do.

Flipped the pinion spline over by one notch to the right last night.  I'd put the wheel on crooked the first time.

Now it points straight!

Booked in for wheel alignment Saturday to adjust the toe (it'll be wrong with the new rack) and check I didn't fork the camber (I took a bolt out during the swap and didn't mark it first, doh!)

#171 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

My steering wheel is still a little crooked, been a bit too busy to fix it lately. I maxed my camber out full negative with the bolts, she goes around the corners very nice for a family wagon.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#172 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

My steering wheel is still a little crooked, been a bit too busy to fix it lately. I maxed my camber out full negative with the bolts, she goes around the corners very nice for a family wagon.

do it!.. it was a 20min job once the car was up on a stand (RHS). once you take out both bolts, there's enough slack  in the splines to just slide the yoke up and pop it off the pinion - all except undoing the top bolt was done from under the car.

Make sure you mark something first, so you know where it needs to go, though!.. and one notch is probably 2" shift on the circumference of the steering wheel.

Once my camber is set neutral side/side (factory is zero camber, I think ? - will check), I plan to dial it a more negative, too.  My tyres always wear out by scrubbing the outside edges first.

#173 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

From memory the outbacks have positive camber setting from the factory.

I run -.7 deg per side, tyres seem to wear fine.

#174 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

Thanks, sounds like one notch is all I need. I have found both my subies love camber, zero the toe and tyre wear is not an issue, I used to run -3.5 deg up front on my wrx, daily driven and raced with perfect even tyre wear, zero toe is the key.

#175 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Thanks, sounds like one notch is all I need. I have found both my subies love camber, zero the toe and tyre wear is not an issue, I used to run -3.5 deg up front on my wrx, daily driven and raced with perfect even tyre wear, zero toe is the key.

I agree, Zero toe is the way to go.

Fark, -3.5 on the street is alot of neg camber.

But hey what ever works for ya.

#176 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

Bugger,

tyre shop didn't have the time this morning to oxy my seized tie-rod lock nut. 

He's done all the other settings, but the LH is toe'd out heaps - 10mm. I'm taking it back on Monday so he can spend some time getting that bastard nut off.

Suby - I'm very concerned about knock.. so only feeding her the best fuel I can get (98 - no 100 at normal pumps any more), and listening out for any signs of pinging.. I'm also trying to get an SSM cable/setup up and running: I tried my vag-com cable and freessm today, 'cos I want to keep an eye on the timing maps - no luck. Seems I should have done more research, as I got the wrong chipset, and need to buy a "FT232BL" cable instead. $12 on ebay from HK.  

Just out of interest, how are people checking their own camber?  Flat surface and a spirit level, getting a shop to set it, or estimating from the camber bolt markings?

Warmed up the second turbo last night... wheeee!!!

#177 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Its basically a car set up for racing but still driven to work each day. These days I have the Outback so the wrx only leaves the garage when I'm racing. My camber was always from the tyre shop printout.

#178 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

oh yeh - forgot about them. 95 or 98 plus ethanol.

Not one near me - Drummoyne is the closest.

#179 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Don't worry about it mate. They run on 98 just fine.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#180 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Don't put ethanol in a Subaru. Unless you are talking gen 5, they are not rated for it. The import models handle 98 fine, you'll just see some knock correction happening due to the tuning being done on 100. I recommend getting it retuned for the lower grade fuel, but failing that 98 will be fine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gen3, outback, twin turbo, swap, sleeper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users