←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

Mods/Build.Gen3 Lib '00 -FR34KO -Dan

FR34KO's Photo FR34KO 08 Mar 2012

now by bash do you mean .... BASH ? lol ;)

thats up behind/below the air box near the firewall isnt it? I thought that was the starter motor :D

Adam's Photo Adam 08 Mar 2012

Yeah a few hits with a hammer or something, dont have to smash it, but a few good hits.

And yep it's up there

I hit mine a couple of times on the smaller bit, and then a couple on the larger bit.

didnt work.. but, before i tried that, i tried starting the car but the electrics weren't working at all, only the temp gauge would move and the dash clock was on.. And upon moving ignition to 'start' nothing happens, at all.

I completely disconnected battery and reconnected, but nothing.

Sorry mate, outta my league now, start a new thread about it/call NRMA if you're a member!

Sounded like mine when I had a dead starter!

hmm shite. thanks for your advice anyway! My mate is on his way over now and he rekons its a dead battery cos of the fact that the clicking has stopped now. If cable starting it doesn't work idk.. cos i dont think i have any NRMA privileges! lol!

Could de dead battery then! :) Good Luck!

SAV84C's Photo SAV84C 08 Mar 2012

How'd u go? Dead battery?

aekOne's Photo aekOne 08 Mar 2012

sounds like a flat battery to me

FR34KO's Photo FR34KO 09 Mar 2012

Yep! It was. jump started it after a bit of trouble i suppose.. jumped it, let in run for bout 20mins with occasional reving, turned it off then tried again, didnt work, nothing. so we fiddled with seeing if my battery would work in my mates car but not actually getting that far but instead replacing my battery back in mine. Then drove to my mates where we chilled for an hour wondering if it'd start up after the charge i just gave it.
Our plan was that if it didnt start, we'd jump it and go to my place and steal my sisters car battery as she isnt using it and use if for a bit to see if the alternator was the problem if it didnt start up in a couple days time; or else it meant my battery is screwed, if her battery continued to work for a while. But it started up again at my mates.... Drove to video shop, started 10mins later. And then it started again this morning no worries.

So whats the go!!???? -I didnt change the battery but it decides to work A-OK after an overnight sitting when it fuked up yesty after only half an hour... Do you think it will strike again at an inconvienent time!?

Should i see my mechanic/auto electrician?

Ben_20EJT's Photo Ben_20EJT 09 Mar 2012

go get the battary load tested, will tell you if its Posted Image'ed or not.

Morgan's Photo Morgan 09 Mar 2012

Open up the cells ontop of the battery. Careful not to get any of the fluid on your hands but make sure there is water in all of them. If not, top them up and see how it goes.

Open up the cells ontop of the battery. Careful not to get any of the fluid on your hands but make sure there is water in all of them. If not, top them up and see how it goes.

I thought about doing this for a moment but forgot, shall do! :D

and if it fucks up after that, or cells were full with water already, i'll do bens suggestion!

On another note, Whats this here broken plastic part!?
Posted Image

Xon's Photo Xon 09 Mar 2012

FYI a decent percentage of modern batteries are not servicable. If you can't easily get at the cells, you aren't meant to get at them.

They have large philips head screwdriver indentations on all of the cells which are on the top, I'll check for any warning stickers beforehand though. :)

Morgan's Photo Morgan 09 Mar 2012

Yep just unscrew the cap with a flat head and carefully top up the water. There's obviously battery acid inside so wipe up any spillage.

Oki dokes :)

bobbyjimmy's Photo bobbyjimmy 09 Mar 2012

On another note, Whats this here broken plastic part!?

Timing belt cover - looks like the inner one has stripped.
Need to take off the cam gear to do it.

Timing belt cover - looks like the inner one has stripped.
Need to take off the cam gear to do it.

How urgent is it that I fix it up?

Ben_20EJT's Photo Ben_20EJT 09 Mar 2012

Yep just unscrew the cap with a flat head and carefully top up the water. There's obviously battery acid inside so wipe up any spillage.

and make sure you fill to the correct levelsif you do need to fill it. on eather side of the hole where the screw cap was, there is a tab that runs down about 2 cm, you want to fill to the bottom of that, looking do it should look like a cats eye when filled.

Grant's Photo Grant 09 Mar 2012

Autobarnz do free testing of batteries, and if it's farked they give you money for your rooted one.
A multimeter will tell you if your alternator is munted.